Friday, April 18, 2008

Another Paypal Phishing Scam!!

I haven't received one of these in quite some time but today what did I find waiting for me in my inbox!? An email supposedly from Paypal with the subject "Dispute Transaction!" It explained that I had paid $249 for an Apple iPod Video 30 GB MP3 Player. Hmmm.....really? It showed an official looking receipt with Paypal shopping cart contents and shipping info. Then about middle of the way down in boldface type was this "If you haven't authorized this charge, click the link below to cancel the payment and get a full refund". It ended with the usual "Thank you for using Paypal, blah, blah, blah........" and Paypal logo to complete the look of the fraudulent message.

I never click on anything when I get these and neither should you. The thieves would love to get their hands on your password. Go to the Paypal website, log in to your account and check your info from there. I did and I found no such transaction. You can also forward the evil email to spoof@paypal.com and then delete it or if that's too much trouble just hit delete.

No comments: